Website S&K Logistics Services, LLC
The Compliance Specialist supports the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Moab Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action (UMTRA) Project Technical Assistance Contract (TAC) and reports directly to the Senior Program Manager. The Compliance Specialist works closely with other TAC managers, the Remedial Action Contractor (RAC), and DOE staff, and will interact with outside entities and state and local government representatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities consist of but are not limited to the following:
- Must have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written skills; will generally provide direction and input to a team of environmental staff. Must also be able to function as a team member.
- Display a professional customer service attitude at all times.
- Plan and coordinate activities. Prepare reports and recommend corrective actions.
- Understand the issues involved in protecting the environment—degradation, conservation, recycling, and hydrogeologic protection of water supplies to comply with Federal environmental Research environmental laws and regulations.
- Will have the flexibility to be “on-call” after duty hours as required. May be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Required to follow all company personnel and safety policies, and perform all assigned duties in a safe work manner.
- Ensure there is integration of regulatory and technical requirements for facility decommissioning and remediation of contaminated environmental media (e.g., soils, surface water, ground water).
- Conducts technical peer reviews of document format and content prior to presentation to regulatory agencies.
- Provides oversight in the areas of environmental compliance and permitting, RCRA, NESHAPs, SPDES, air monitoring, and other applicable state and federal environmental regulations and DOE orders, standards, and guidance.
- Provides support for public, stakeholder and/or regulatory agency reviews and/or meetings. This may include: attending regulatory, public and/or stakeholder meetings, coordinating with all necessary parties, preparing meeting material such as slide presentations and meeting summaries, arranging meeting locations, providing all parties with meeting notifications, producing sufficient quantities of meeting presentation materials, and maintaining public reading rooms.
- Provides UMTRA with expertise and specialized technical assistance in reviewing environmental laws and regulations and DOE Directives and Standards to determine applicability and appropriate implementation strategies.
- Provides support for daily oversight of environmental compliance for the Project’s conformance with ISO 140001:2015 (Environmental Management Systems) and permitting programs including but not limited to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), air, water, waste, monitoring and reporting. Coordinates and interfaces on RCRA, NESHAPs, SPDES, air permitting, and environmental issues with the DOE and regulatory agencies.
- Provide leadership and support in the generation and review of compliance plans, permit applications, and regulatory documentation.
- Collaborate with other entities in the resolution of key technical comments and/or regulatory issues pertaining to compliance plans and reports, applications and regulatory documentation.
- Provide leadership and support associated with the implementation of compliance orders and agreements.
- Provide leadership and support in the performance of surveillances and other forms of in-field oversight relative to environmental programs implemented at the Project.
- Provides consultation regarding the development of regulatory strategies, including analyses pertinent to NEPA, CERCLA, RCRA, and/or other federal, state and local environmental compliance requirements.
- Provides independent technical facilitation for decision making as well as informational meetings associated with the collaborative processes that may include regulatory agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned at the discretion of management.
This job may have direct supervisor responsibilities.
Must demonstrate ethics, responsibility, confidentiality, professionalism, punctuality and consistent dependability, organizational skills, ability to perform multi-task productivity standards established.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty assigned thoroughly and independently. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
This position requires a Master’s Degree in Geology, Hydrogeology, Mathematics, Engineering, Physical Science or related technical degree. Additional years of commensurate experience may be proposed in lieu of the Master’s degree. At least 15 years demonstrable compliance experience with Federal, Utah, and Colorado environmental laws, rules and regulations. Must have current 40-hour and 8-hour refresher hazardous waste operations level training. Specialty Qualifications: Training and professional skill development will be provided for the various aspects of the position, as appropriate based on the individual’s experience. Proficiencies and training the individual has already received should be considered
Must possess an excellent command of the English language. Some fundamentals associated with this position include the ability to read and interpret documents in English, including reports and property drawings/markings, to write technical reports and correspondence in English, and to verbally communicate effectively with the client and project contractors and subcontractors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of algebra, geometry, calculus, and other high level mathematical concepts.
Ability to define problems, collect data, and establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions that deal with abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, the individual should have advanced working knowledge of computers, software and general office equipment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Current driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record in accordance with S&K Logistics Service’s driving policy; proof of U.S. citizenship or approved to work within the United States; and ability to obtain security clearance enabling access to various government facilities. Must pass drug test as condition of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and drive.
- Must be able to walk and work on uneven, rocky, or sloped terrain. Must be able to climb ladders, stairs, and inclined slopes while carrying tools or instruments.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move 25 pounds or more.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Will be involved in fieldwork so must have physical stamina.
- Requires occasional travel and overnight stay.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work in shared office and field environment; the noise level in the office work environment is usually quiet. The noise level in the field work environment includes construction site and soil and ground water remediation areas where noise level will vary and sometimes require hearing and other personal protective equipment.
To apply for this job email your application and applicant data form to email@example.com. Application can be found in the upper right hand corner of this page.